Sunday, October 18, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!

Here I am at 45 years old. When I first started WW 3 years, I believed I would be at my goal of 165 by now. Well that hasn't happened but I am almost hundred pounds down from my highest weight and I am feeling good.

I am feeling good about being 45. When you are young, you can't imagine being this age but I actually like who I have become. I feel more confident in who I am - more than I ever have in my life. I am less concerned about what others think about me and I am less likely to sacrifice my own interests and desires for others. I think that sounds a bit selfish but its not really. I guess I am finding that I am also important and my needs and interests are important as well. I have spent too many years putting the needs of others before my own. I feel now I am more balanced and I need to be.

Yesterday I wanted to go to a quilt-in in the next town and I haven't done any real quilting or anything with my friends who quilt in years now. I had planned to go and of course when I got up the whole family was all over the place. Getting organized was next to impossible and then I felt guilty because my daughter had 2 birthday parties to get to that I hadn't gotten organized for. I almost talking myself out of going but then I realized there will always be a reason for not doing the things that I am interested in. And that was it, I just explained to my husband what he would need to do, namely pick up gifts and cards and deliver her on time to the parties - with a costume for one of them - all the things I would have done and he would never have even thought about. I went to my quilt-in and it all worked out. I had lots of fun and got almost my whole quilt top put together for my daughter's lap quilt. When I got home, everything was calm and everyone was where they were supposed to be. All was well!

I am looking forward to this next year. I know that I will be closer to my weight-loss goal but I am looking forward to having time to do the things that interest me. My children are almost 7 and 4 yrs old and I have put a lot of things on hold to be present to my family. Obviously my family will always remain a priority but I am putting myself back on my list. I will ensure I have time to quilt and I am joining the guild again and I am going to register for a large quilting weekend in April. I am also going to get involved in my church community again. I have been part of a committee and I have enjoyed volunteering. I miss working there and I know that by getting involved again I will feel more a part of the parish community.

So here is to a great year! A more balanced year where I can enjoy my family and my work and also have some interests that are just for me!

Happy Birthday to me! :)

5 comments:

266 said...

Happy birthday!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Sephgirl. Hope you are having a great day. You have done fantastic in your weight loss journey and I know this year is going to be an awesome year for you, weight wise.

266 said...

Congrats! I have something for you on my blog...

cdblueberry said...

Happy Birthday Seph!

Brenlin said...

Glad you had a great birthday, Seph. And it's wonderful that you are going to take time for YOU.