This is what I posted on a thread on the 200+ WW board in response to a question about emotional changes I've experienced since losing the weight.
This is a good topic. I am posting now but I'm going to reflect on this somemore because it goes deep.
First of all, I feel like myself again. I really think that although I have been overweight a lot of my life, its been in the last 15 years that I went above and beyond. I believe that weight was really related to depression - dealing with infertility for years, the loss of my sister, the loss of my son, then difficult pregnancies and post-partum depression. Really it was a coping mechanism and I often think that the physical part of being fat was a simulated pregnancy in a way. I'm not sure how to explain that.
But over the years I have used food as a comfort and as a way to control my emotions, sedate myself. Now instead of stuffing my feelings down, I talk about what is bothering me or I address it. I think as much as it was a comfort, a protection, and a sedation, food and the overweight that came with it also became a trap and a prison that kept me from really living.
Realizing that part of my life is over was the key to making the changes to move on from that. Weight watchers has been a key factor in establishing a healthy lifestyle and all the support I have received here has been invaluable because no one else around me can really understand the challenges.
I now feel free - physically to move as I wish, but also emotional and mentally to first acknowledge and then express how I am feeling and to make sure that my needs are being met.
I never felt that I was worth the effort but I know that I am worth it. I am worthy of all the self-love and self-care that I give myself.

No comments:
Post a Comment