Sunday, January 4, 2009

WW Week 4 - Habits for Success

Last night, I reviewed my Weight Watchers week 4 materials about habits of succsssful members. I did the little quiz and hands down two different issues showed up: emotional eating and making time for myself. Neither was a surprise.

I have been an emotional eater forever it seems. And it is something I am going to have really work hard to address to see long-lasting success. I need to focus on my hunger signals and as the quote in the week 4 books said: "If you're not hungry, you have no business eating." Once I establish that I want to eat to fill an emotional need, I need to find another way to do that. If I am stressed, I will exercise if I can at that time or at the very least, acknowledge my feelings, do some deep breathing and work from there. This will be something I need to stay aware of but there are some areas I can start planning for like when I come home from work which seems to be a difficult transition. I am going to work at pinpointing the most common times I eat emotionally and find some ways to reframe them.

The other area that showed up as a big area to focus on is Making Time for Myself. And that has been ongoing since the children were born and before. In this past year since starting back to work, I have definitely not been making time for myself. I have really worked out the balance between home and work but I have not worked out how I was going to do what was necessary to meet my goals. Well, that has to change and it is changing. To be successful, I need to make time for going to the WW boards, exercising, making healthy meals, tracking my points, and spending time on me and my needs. I have started this and already it is making a difference.

I'm glad I reviewed the material and I am working on addressing these two issues. In the meantime, I will also focus on my goals and do some visualization of where I will be at goal.

I know that these are two very important issues that need to be addressed for lasting success in meeting my goals of being healthy, active and fit. I can do it and awareness is just the first step. :)

1 comment:

cdblueberry said...

You can do it Seph! Knowing yourself is critical for success with weight loss and life in general.

I bring an apple to eat on the commute home. I find it helps my post-work & pre-dinner munchies!