I was talking to a friend today who stopped me when we dropped off our kids at the VBS. She has also lost about 100 lbs but has managed to put part of it back even after having a tummy tuck. She asked how I was and I told her I was having a crappy week and she looked relieved and told me she was having one too. She is up another 5 lbs and getting ready to go on vacation. It's funny how you think you're alone in all this struggle but there are so many of us going through the same things.
I was telling her about how I tried to explain how I was feeling to my mom who then told me "Somedays I want to eat more." I laughed and explained to my mom its like a "normal" person who wants a second glass of wine talking to an alcoholic. Not in the same league! Then my mom was telling me how I wasn't fat when I lived at home and I asked her how it was possible that everyone called me "fat" if in fact I wasn't. Even her family when I met them was saying how I was "rodonda", "grada" and "forte" which are 3 nicer Portuguese words that mean FAT! They didn't intend it as an insult because it wouldn't have been back in their day but I found it insulting. My friend is also Portuguese so she howled because she's heard it all too including the Portuguese equivalent of "such a pretty face..." It was good to talk to her and laugh about it.
She was telling me how her friend works with the woman I was telling you about who had the gastric bypass and she heard the woman has been just so cranky and miserable since. Then she started to tell me how I would be miserable if I had it too. She stopped in mid-sentence and laughed saying "Well I guess we're already miserable."
We talked about how "hard" it is to be ever-vigilant which will have to be from now on. The focus will have to continue to be on how much I eat, how much I move and it will likely not get easier. She said that after so long, she finally realized it that is how its going to be from now. I guess even hard, it is obviously doable once I get to the place where I am prepared to do whatever it takes to meet my goals.
As you can see from this post, I'm still coming down from the Pity Party. It was interesting talking to my friend and reading all that everyone posted on the earlier thread. Obviously I am not alone in the struggle. Some days it just feels like it.
Anyhow, thank you very much to all who posted on the earlier thread. It helps to know that there are people who understand. From this post, you can see I still haven't pulled myself entirely away from feeling sorry for myself but I WILL get over it and keep moving forward. I actually have had a very good week since I cried so much - I guess I needed it. :)
Sorry if this has been a downer for some of you. This will be the final post of this depressing series! :)
Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Follow-Up to the HUGE Pity Party!
This is my follow-up post from the WW 200+ board:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment