Wow, I feel great! I did it! And that feels fanastic!
I have to admit this run did not feel as good as the test run on Monday but I did it and that's what counts. I was emotional before I even got there in the morning. And by the time we were lined up at the start, I was really nervous. I found it hard to get my pace and breathing in order and I obviously hadn't drank enough water yesterday as I was dry.
I just kept pushing through and Henry, my husband, stuck with me the whole way. It was so great to share that with him. He just stayed with me at the pace I set which is hard if your pace is faster but it was wonderful to have that support.
I found Kilometer 3 was the hardest, my legs were burning and I just couldn't keep it together. I walked a few times then but pushed through and by Kilometre 4 I was back on my pace and my breathing settled down.
Before Kilometer 4, I was following Henry which was harder actually but I passed him and I could hear his footfalls behind me and I found that so comforting. Running down the final hill and heading towards the finish line was just so amazing. I felt like I had pushed through a big barrier mentally. And when I crossed that finish line, I started to cry. I've been crying on and off since then!
I just know that 3 years ago before I started this journey, I wouldn't have even gone to see the race never mind imagine that I could actually run it. And here I was crossing the finish line to the cheers of my running group and the crowd. It was just so liberating. I really felt free! Free of all the negative thoughts that told me I couldn't do it; free of all the assumptions that I was too fat to run. This race was symbolic of the journey I have been on for the last three years. It hasn't been easy but I have had some really good solid times, accomplished some major milestones and had some uphill struggles but I finished this race and I know that I will finish this weight-loss journey! I have it in me to succeed! And I know that because I have been successful!
I actually don't know my official time yet as I had to leave before the certificates were handed out, but I know that no matter the time, I did something I have wanted to do for so long! And I am just so proud of myself. I know that I will reach all the goals I have set for myself. No matter what happens, I will get there!
So I am looking forward to my group run on Monday and I am already making plans to run another 5K race in the next community in October! I can't wait! I am excited already! :)

4 comments:
Way to go Seph!!! :D
I'm so happy for you, you worked so hard to get here, you should be very proud of yourself and everything you've accomplished! Savour the feeling...this is what it's all about! :D
That is awesome. What a huge accomplishment!
Congratulations! You are an inspiration!
Yay Seph!
I can feel your joy across the interweb!
Post a Comment