Monday, April 13, 2009

Journalling Food and Mood!

Hello all! I've been away for a bit. I had some computer problems and then had a hard time getting back.

I've been doing okay. I have been struggling with emotional eating and haven't really been on plan. Thankfully the scale hasn't really moved and at least with all the walking I've been doing, my jeans are fitting better.

I have been seeing a self-management lifestyle coach on and off for 18 months. Probably more off but I started seeing her this month again regularly. She's fantastic and has lost 140 lbs herself so she knows what she's talking about.

Anyhow I've been working with her and finally it became clear that I'm just adding extra pressure by setting goals and not meeting them. Being driven by the scale and focusing on the weight I've put back hasn't helped.

My lifestyle coach has challenged me to let go of all numbers - that is the scale, points/calories, and clothing size and instead focus on making healthy choices. I'm scared to do this as I'm afraid that if I let go of them, I will just let go and go straight back up to my top weight. The reality is they are not working for me right now and I am just putting added pressure. So what is the worst that will happen? I guess, I won't lose weight but really I've maintained this weight (give or take a few pounds) since October. What's another month?

Two weeks ago I set my goal for the week to just journal - food and mood and try to address the issue of emotional eating. If it wasn't for that, I would be losing weight (well any of us emotional eaters would for sure) as I eat healthy most of the time but have these binges that cancel all that out.

Anyhow, all that is to say that I'm back but not counting points. I've decided to focus on healthy choices and journalling everything and see what happens. Seriously, after 2.5 years with the WW programs, I actually know what healthy eating looks like. Hopefully this will help me get back on track to a healthy life which is why I started all this way back in October 2006.

The journalling has been helping. This is the beginning of the third week and although I'm not 100%, I have only had a couple of episodes of emotional eating. Writing about my feelings helped me focus alot on what is going on and find ways to address it instead of stuff it down. It's actually helping.

I also wanted to mention that I have been reading some good books recently. One is Passing for Thin by Frances Kuffel (a women who loses 1/2 her body weight and its all about her journey). Another one is "The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl" by Shauna Reid - another one who lost 1/2 her weight) You can read about her at www.dietgirl.org. Anyhow, I've been enjoying reading about their journeys instead of their diets. Both good reads.

3 comments:

cdblueberry said...

You are one of the most insightful writers, here on the blogs & on the boards and I love reading your words in both places.

cdblueberry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cdblueberry said...

Okay now I have to leave a third one because I didn't realize that note would be there for the 2nd one. Nothing bad, the first comment just double posted for some reason, so I deleted the duplicate.


CDBB, expert at making mountains our of molehills :)