Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What's it going to take?

Last week someone at work was talking about a co-worker that had a heart attack some time back. I asked if he had changed his lifestyle at all and she said that he eats 3 A&W Bacon & Eggers each morning. I was shocked and actually said "He's already had a heart-attack. What's it going to take?" and as the words were coming out of my mouth, I thought to myself "Really Seph!? What about you? What's it going to take?"

What is it going to take? Am I waiting for the heart-attack to make the changes? Am I waiting for my blood pressure to rise, the snoring to return, the difficult breathing, the diabetes to start? What exactly is it going to take for me to understand the danger I am placing myself in; what's it going to take to understand that my health can be improved if I actually make a change?

I started walking a bit and stretching this week which is a step in the right direction. And during the day, I have made pretty good food choices but in the evening, I keep over-eating. Tonight I am going to bed without an evening snack. I am not at all hungry and it is now too late to be eating.

I need to weigh in but I am afraid to see the number. I will do it tomorrow so that I can update my stats and really see what is going on.

So really Seph! What is it going to take?

3 comments:

Kristi-Bisti said...

Hey Seph,

I used to talk about my dad like that. I would say he abused his body for so long and now he is paying for it even though he only just turned 65. As I would talk about him, I would be thankful that I didn't have diabetes yet or any other problem, but wonder just how long I would last until I got too sick to function. I would feel very hypocritical as I knew I was overeating and not treating my body properly.

You know what it took me to overcome it.

Unknown said...

Hi Seph. I don't really have an answer for you as I ask that question of myself all the time. Just wanted to say I miss your posts as they always are so thought provoking. As long as we keep trying we will eventually figure this whole weight loss thing out :)

cdblueberry said...

I wish I had an answer Seph.

I think it's a very good question to ask, and that is a start. It's giving me something to think about tonight.

And I 2nd the "I miss you"s :)